If you are facing a child custody hearing, you may be unsure of how to prepare so that you have the best chance of achieving a favorable result. The first thing you need to do is contact an experienced child custody attorney. Your attorney will provide you with the steps that you need to take to show to the court that you can provide a stable environment for your children. Without a child custody lawyer assisting you, it will difficult to know how to properly prepare your case.
How the Court Establishes “Best Interest of the Child”
The court prefers that the parents of a child come up with an acceptable child custody agreement on their own. However, if that is not possible, the court will establish a child custody order based on it’s determination of what would be in the best interest of the child.
The court will consider many factors when making this determination, including:
- The wishes of the child, provided they are mature enough to clearly voice their desire
- The relationship the child has with the parents and siblings as well as any extended family
- The ability of each parent to provide a stable environment for the child, including how they will address school, lifestyle, religion, and community issues, their financial stability, and their willingness to comply with child custody arrangements and encourage a continuing relationship between the child and the other parent
- The physical and mental health of each parent may be weighed as well as any history of abuse or neglect
Preparing for the Child Custody Hearing
If you are attempting to obtain joint or sole custody, you will need to show the court your ability to provide an environment that is best for the child by taking the following steps. Your California child custody lawyer will help you determine the best ways to present your evidence for your specific case.
- Present evidence and witnesses that will testify to your ability to provide a stable environment and how you will be able to meet the needs of your child. The court will also want evidence showing the quality of your relationship with your child as well as your willingness to continue to foster a healthy and continuing relationship between the child and the other parent.
- Avoid behavior that would reflect poorly on you during the court’s evaluation. This means do not interfere with the relationship between your child and the other parent, or talk negatively about the other parent, or withhold child support.
- If the other parent has a history of “parenting flaws” that would effect the court’s decision, be sure to bring them to the court’s attention. Bring forward any documentation or witnesses to these flaws as further proof. Your child custody attorney can help you identify other considerations and issues that the court will weigh when making a child custody order.
Contact the Experienced California Child Custody Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich
If you are facing a child custody hearing, it is essential that you contact an experienced child custody attorney at Wallin & Klarich. We have over 30 years of experience successfully representing our clients in child custody cases. We have the knowledge and know-how to help you get the best possible result in your case.
With offices located in Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, Orange County, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina and Victorville, we are always available wherever you happen to live or work.
Call us today at (888) 749-7428. We will be there when you call.