Child Support Arrears FAQs

1. I have a significant amount of child support arrears. What should I do?

The first thing you should do is contact a child support attorney. A family law attorney can help you file legal documents requesting that the amount of future child support be changed. You must file these documents because you cannot change the amount of arrears already due. Therefore, the best thing you can do is to reduce or eliminate the amount of child support owed in the future.

2. How does a wage assignment work?

In every case where child support is ordered, the court will order a wage assignment be issued. The wage assignment tells your employer to take the support payments out of your earned wages. It is possible for you and the other parent to agree on how child support and child support arrears payments should be made, instead of enforcing the wage assignment. Contact a Wallin & Klarich Los Angeles child support attorney for more information.

3. Because of child support arrears, my driver’s license has been suspended, but I need my license to get to work. What should I do?

Contact a child support attorney to help you negotiate the suspension with the local Los Angeles child support agency. If that doesn’t work, your family law attorney can assist you to file a Notice of Motion for Judicial Review of License Denial with the court. Your child support attorney at Wallin & Klarich can assist you to file the appropriate paperwork with the court.

4. If the Department of Child Support Services freezes my bank account because of child support arrears, I won’t be able to pay my bills. What should I do?

First, contact a child support attorney. A Los Angeles child support attorney can help you prevent the seizure of all funds for child support obligations. Your child support attorney can also, under certain circumstances, assist you to file a Claim of Exemption up to the total of the amount of bank funds levied.

5. The wage assignment court order means that over 50% of my paycheck goes to child support. Is there any way to lower this amount?

There may be. Contact a Wallin & Klarich family law attorney to help you get a hold of your local child support agency and talk to them about reducing your monthly wage assignment. An attorney can also help you file the proper forms with the court requesting a reduction of the monthly wage assignment.

Los Angeles Child Support Attorney

If you have child support arrears you will need a skilled and experienced attorney to walk you through the complex legal processes involved. With offices located in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego Victorville, West Covina, Sherman Oaks, Torrance and Ventura , there is a Wallin & Klarich attorney available wherever you happen to live. Call us today at (888) 749-7428. We will get through this together.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

  • Disclaimer
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

View More Testimonial


Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai