November 10, 2014 By Paul Wallin

Child support is the most important thing to consider when parents are not together. The amount of child support often leads to arguments and animosity.

In California, the parents of a minor child have an equal responsibility to support their child. Therefore, even though the paying parent does not live in California, that parent still has an obligation to support the minor child.

Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Live in Another State? (Family Code Section 3900)

child support
You have a legal option to pay child support or support your child.

Both parents are legally obligated to share an equal responsibility for care and support of their child in California. How parents will pay child support will be worked out in a California family law court. However, what happens after child support orders are made, but one parent moves away and fails to pay child support?

California has the Department of Child Support Services to help enforce child support orders. This kind of agency is not exclusive to California. Every state in the United States has an agency similar to the Department of Child Support Services.

Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), when a child support order has been made in California, the state in which the paying parent lives has an obligation to enforce that child support order. Each state must cooperate with one another to collect child support. Additionally, each state must cooperate with one another to help locate the parent with the child support obligation and their assets. This ensures that a parent cannot skip out or dodge making child support payments by moving to another state.

What to Do if the Other Parent Lives Out of State?

If you currently have an open case with the Department of Child Support Services in California and you know that the paying party has moved out of state, it is important that you let the department know of the paying parent’s relocation. You should also provide the department with any information you have about the paying parent’s new address and work.

However, if you do not have a case with the California Department of Child Support Services, it is crucial that you retain an attorney who can help you enforce the child support order. Your child support attorney can often obtain a wage garnishment against the paying parent. Your attorney may be able to levy the paying parent’s bank accounts and other property.

Call the Child Support Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich

child support attorney
Our child support attorneys can help you with your case.

If you are experiencing issues with child support or you want to have your child support orders modified, you need to speak with a skilled and knowledgeable family law attorney. At Wallin & Klarich, our team of attorneys has over 30 years of experience successfully representing our clients in child support and family law matters. We can help you, too.

With offices located in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina, Victorville, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks, there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich family law attorney available to help you no matter where you work or live.

Call us today at (888) 749-7428 for a phone consultation.  We will get through this together.

Leave a comment

Practice area

  • Contact Us Now

    If you want a caring and aggressive family law firm fighting for your legal rights, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Latest Posts

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.