Child Support FAQs

San Bernardino Child Support

1.  Can the court garnish my wages to pay child support if I’m self-employed?

No.  If you are self-employed, you are not subject to a wage assignment or wage garnishment.  Instead, the parties must agree to an alternative arrangement to ensure that the self-employed parent pays his or her child support obligations.

2.  If I am incarcerated, am I still obligated to pay child support?

Until you file something with the court, you are still obligated to pay child support.  Even if you do file with the court, any judgment reducing child support payments only applies to future child support payments, not past due child support payments (called “arrears”).  Thus, DO NOT ignore a notice for child support obligation, even if you think you will not owe child support because you are in prison.

3.   When does my child support obligation begin?

The court has discretion to determine when legal child support obligation begins.  It may begin on the date when the request for child support is filed, the date of the child support hearing, the date when you were served with notice of the hearing, or another date.

4.  What can the parent who is owed child support do to determine my actual income?

If there has already been a judgment ordering child support, the supported party can serve a document known as a Request for Production of an Income and Expense Declaration After Judgment.  If you do not respond to this document, or do not fill in the required information, the supported party can file a request for income information to your employer.

5.  Is it required that I pay for heath insurance for my child?

Yes, if health insurance is free or available at a reasonable price, you and your ex-spouse or partner must provide health insurance for your child as part of your child support obligation.
If you or someone you know has or may have a child support obligation issue, you will need an experienced Southern California child custody lawyer to help you through this complicated and difficult legal process.  At Wallin & Klarich, we have helped people with child support issues for over 30 years.  Call us today at (888) 749-7428. We will be there when you call.

Leave a comment

  • Contact Us Now

    If you want a caring and aggressive family law firm fighting for your legal rights, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.