Rights and Responsibilities of a Guardian ( California Probate Code 2350-2360)

The rights and responsibilities of a guardian depend on what type of legal guardianship has been established: guardianship of the person or guardianship of the estate.

Rights of a Guardian of the Person

For a guardianship of the person, you would have the following rights:

• Place to live

As the legal guardian, you will decide where the child is going to live. If you want to move with the child within the state, you must provide written notice to the court. If you wish to move out of the state, you must seek the court’s permission.

• Education

As the legal guardian, you can decide where the child will get an education. You must stay involved in the child’s education and help the child.

• Medical/Dental

As the legal guardian, you can make decisions about the proper care and medical needs of the child.

• Counseling/Mental Health

As the guardian, you will decide if the child needs counseling or other mental health services. However, if you wish to place the child in a mental health institute, you must seek a court order.

• Driver’s License

The responsibilities of a guardian are complex, thus it is vital you contact a guardianship lawyer at (888) 749-7428

The responsibilities of a guardian are complex, thus it is vital you contact a Riverside guardianship lawyer at (888) 749-7428

As the child’s guardian, you may give permission to the child to apply for a driver’s license. If you permit the child, you must get car insurance for the child. If the child is involved in an accident, you may be responsible for any damage caused by the accident.

• Military

As the legal guardian, you may give permission to the child to enlist in the military. But if the child enters the military, the guardianship ends and the child is declared an adult.

• Marriage

For the child to get married, both you and the court must give permission. However, if the child marries, the guardianship ends and the child is declared an adult.

Responsibilities of a Guardian of the Person

If you are appointed as the guardian of the person, you have the following responsibilities:

• Damages

Guardians, like parents, are responsible for the harm or damages the child causes. Thus, as the child’s guardian, you are also responsible for the intentional acts of the minor, the negligent supervision of the minor, or the negligent entrustment of a motor vehicle to the child.

• Residence

As the legal guardian, you may not allow the child to live with his or her parents or anyone else. The child must live with you unless the judge says otherwise. You may allow the child to stay with the parents or anyone else for a short period of time. But the child must live primarily with you.

• Parental Visitation

As the child’s guardian, you must decide when and how often the parents may visit and see the child.

Guardian of the Estate

If you are appointed as a guardian of the estate, you would have the highest duty to protect the assets of the child’s estate. This is called a fiduciary duty. The fiduciary duty includes the following:

• As the guardian, you must find, collect, protect, and list all of the child’s property

• You must put all property in the estate’s name

• You must record copies of the Letters of Guardianship with the County Recorder in every county where the child owns real property

• You must keep all the child’s money and property in a separate account in the child’s name

• You may not pay yourself or your lawyer with the estate’s funds

• You may not give away any part of the estate

• You may not borrow money from the estate; AND

• You may not spend the estate’s money

If the child’s parent or parents are still alive or the child receives assets from elsewhere, you, the legal guardian, must seek permission from the court to use the estate’s money to pay for the child’s support, maintenance, or education.

Accounting of the Estate’s Funds

As the legal guardian of the child, you also has a duty to prepare a report, called an “accounting,” which details all the money collected on behalf of the estate, interests paid, money spent, reason money was spent, the date of every transaction, the purpose of each transaction, and what is left after the estate’s expenses are paid. You must file the accounting one year after becoming a guardian. You must then file a report every two years unless the estate is worth less than $7,000, the estate assets are in blocked accounts or if the court orders a report due to termination of the guardianship.

Riverside Guardianship Lawyer

The rights and responsibilities of a guardian can be very difficult and complex. For a guardianship of the estate, it is important that you have an experienced guardianship attorney to guide you through the very complex issues. The skilled guardianship lawyers at Wallin & Klarich have been practicing family law for over 30 years. We have the knowledge and experience you need in guardianship cases. With offices located in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego Victorville, West Covina, Sherman Oaks, Torrance and Ventura , there is a Wallin & Klarich attorney available wherever you happen to live. To consult with a Riverside guardianship lawyer, please call us at (888) 749-7428. We will get through this together.

Was This Article Helpful? Please Share it.

Contact Us

  • Disclaimer
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

View More Testimonial


Los Angeles County

Los Angeles | Long Beach | Glendale | Santa Clarita | Lancaster | Palmdale | Pomona | Torrance | Pasadena | West Covina | Carson | Santa Monica | Whittier | Lakewood | Redondo Beach | Arcadia | Diamond Bar | Glendora | Cerritos | La Mirada | Rancho Palos Verdes | Culver City | Manhattan Beach | Claremont | Beverly Hills | San Dimas | Walnut | Calabasas | Hermosa Beach | El Segundo | Palos Verdes Estates | Malibu

Orange County

Santa Ana | Anaheim | Irvine | Huntington Beach | Garden Grove | Orange | Fullerton | Costa Mesa | Mission Viejo | Westminster | Newport Beach | Buena Park | Lake Forest | Tustin | Yorba Linda | San Clemente | Laguna Niguel | La Habra | Fountain Valley | Anaheim Hills | Placentia | Rancho Santa Margarita | Aliso Viejo | Cypress | Brea | Stanton | San Juan Capistrano | Dana Point | Laguna Hills | North Tustin | Seal Beach | Ladera Ranch | Laguna Beach | Laguna Woods | La Palma | Coto de Caza | Los Alamitos | Rossmoor | Midway City | Las Flores | Villa Park

Riverside County

Riverside | Moreno Valley | Corona | Temecula | Murrieta | Jurupa Valley | Indio | Hemet | Menifee | Perris | Eastvale | Cathedral City | Palm Desert | Lake Elsinore | Palm Springs | La Quinta | Coachella | San Jacinto | Beaumont | Wildomar | Banning | Norco | Desert Hot Springs | Blythe | Rancho Mirage | Canyon Lake | Calimesa | Indian Wells

San Bernardino County

San Bernardino | Fontana | Rancho Cucamonga | Ontario | Victorville | Rialto | Hesperia | Chino | Chino Hills | Upland | Apple Valley | Redlands | Highland | Colton | Yucaipa | Montclair | Adelanto | Twentynine Palms | Loma Linda | Barstow | Yucca Valley | Grand Terrace | Big Bear Lake | Needles

San Diego

San Diego | Oceanside | Escondido | Carlsbad | Vista | San Marcos | Encinitas | Solana Beach | El Cajon | Santee | Poway | La Mesa | Del Mar


Oxnard | Thousand Oaks | Simi Valley | Ventura | Camarillo | Moorpark | Santa Paula | Port Hueneme | Fillmore | Ojai