Having a Los Angeles restraining order granted against you is a serious situation. It can affect numerous areas of your life:
• Money & Property. A judge can order you to pay money for bills, child or spousal support, or hand over property, including pets, if there is a restraining order against you.
• Home. A restraining order can require you to stay away from or move out of your house, and even stay away from the general area the house is located in.
• Custody. If you already have a child custody or visitation order, a restraining order could make it difficult for you to modify such orders and get a more favorable arrangement in the future.
• Gun Ownership. Many restraining orders require an individual to give up any guns they own or have in their possession.
• Immigration Status. If you are trying to get a green card or a visa, a restraining order can make this process more difficult.
• Registry. If you receive a restraining order involving domestic violence, information about you and the protective order will be put into a database that can be accessed by judges, court staff, and law enforcement officers throughout the state. This is called a CLETS (California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) restraining order.
Restraining Order Process in Los Angeles
Although a restraining order can impose a wide range of restrictions and have long-term consequences, a restraining order attorney can help you get your life back. Initially, a temporary restraining order can only be obtained against a person, and these are only effective for a short period of time, usually until the next court hearing. At the next court hearing, the judge will determine whether or not to issue a permanent restraining order, which can last up to 5 years. After considering the issues, the judge can extend the order for up to five years. Your attorney can present a number of reasons why a permanent restraining order should not be issued and may be able to get the restraining order dismissed.
If the legal issues involve custody and visitation, the parties may be sent to family court services for mediation. Your Wallin & Klarich restraining order attorney can guide you through this complicated process and help you get your life back to normal.
Finding an Experienced Restraining Order Attorney in Los Angeles
The law involving restraining orders is complex and specialized. Hearings are often short, and it is always important to understand how the process works. Your property, home life, child custody, career, and money may be at stake. It is crucial to have an experienced attorney representing you if you are defending yourself against a restraining order. Even though you have been served with a restraining order, you have rights that an attorney at Wallin & Klarich can help you protect. Find more than 40 unique weed seeds strains, including regular feminized, auto-flowering, and high-CBD medical marijuana seeds.
If you or someone you know has an issue related to a restraining order in Los Angeles, you will need an experienced Los Angeles restraining order attorney to advise you on the best course of action. With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks, the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have successfully defended clients in restraining order cases for over 30 years.
Call us today at (888) 749-7428. We will be there when you call.