Southern California Family Law Blog

a legal separation

You should speak to an experienced family law attorney if you are considering a legal separation.

A legal separation is the filing of a lawsuit against which gives the court the power to decide on any and all issues related to a marriage.  These issues include property division, deciding custody and visitation, debts of the marriage, and support matters.

The Difference Between Legal Separation and Divorce

A legal separation progresses just like a divorce, with the notable exception that the spouses are not divorced.  The are several significant differences between a legal separation and a divorce.  For example, spouses must agree to a legal separation, otherwise the legal separation will automatically become a divorce.

Another difference between legal separation and divorce in California, is that there is no waiting period.  In California, it takes six months to become divorced.  However a legal separation can be achieved immediately.

When is Legal Separation Necessary?

Legal separation should not be seen as an alternative for parties that are not sure about divorce.  Filing for a legal separation is typically appropriate only under certain circumstances. A legal separation is typically appropriate where divorce is against the spouses religion, and neither party plans on remarrying; the parties need to remain married for financial benefits; or to remain covered on the other spouse’s insurance.

Call Wallin & Klarich Today

If you or a loved one is considering seeking a legal separation, hiring an experienced family law firm is the best way to ensure your rights are safeguarded.

Please feel free to contact Wallin & Klarich to discuss your case. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (888) 749-7428 or go to our website at for more information.

I Believe I am the Father; Can a Paternity Test Help Me Obtain Child Custody?

Many times, a father will take a paternity test to determine if he is the biological father of a minor child when there is no marriage involved. Once it is determined that he is the biological father through DNA testing, the next step would be to file a Paternity Petition and a motion to determine custody and visitation rights assuming that the parties are unabl… Continue Reading.......

Shared Custody and Your Child’s Sports Participation

    You are divorced and you want to sign up your child for a sport or other extracurricular activity. Do you need the other parent’s permission to do so? The first place to look is in the child custody agreement to see if that document covers your child’s after-school activities. Often times, however, parents don’t have an agreement in place. In tha… Continue Reading.......

Can My Child Decide to Skip Visitation Time? (Family Code 3042)

Family Code 3042 provides that the court must consider a child’s preference and wishes in determining child custody rights. However, the child must be of sufficient age and have capacity to make an intelligent decision for 3042 to apply. But what exactly does that mean?

Can a Child Skip Visitation Time?

Visitation rights are determined based on the best int… Continue Reading.......

Documenting Your Divorce: How to Properly Prepare

People who have gone through a divorce will tell you this: It is a hard day when you realize that your marriage is past the point where it can be saved. Dealing with this hard truth is a mentally and emotionally draining moment, but it is only the first in many challenges ahead. You will need to act quickly so that you protect your rights, and one of the first steps yo… Continue Reading.......

Can I Take My Child to Church Without the Other Parent’s Permission?

After a divorce, issues often arise surrounding the child and parents’ religion and their right to bring their child to their chosen house of worship. It is important to know what religious rights you have with your child and to respect the other’s rights as well.

Taking Your Child to Your House of Worship

Generally, the First Amendment protects a child’s rig… Continue Reading.......

Automatic Temporary Restraining Orders (ATROs) in Divorce Case (Family Code 2040)

Automatic Temporary Retraining Orders (or “ATROs”) are judicial orders that automatically take effect when one spouse files for divorce, annulment, or legal separation. These orders prevent both spouses from taking certain actions with regards to the couple’s children or joint assets. An ATRO will not take affect until one spouse receives the summons… Continue Reading.......