Southern California Family Law Blog

step parent child custody and visitation

Are you a step parent seeking child custody or visitation?

The general rule is since a stepchild is not a child of the parties’ relationship; Inland Empire courts have no jurisdiction to entertain a stepparent’s custody request.

There are some ways to getting around excluding step parents from getting custody in the way that the forms are submitted to the Inland Empire family court. For example, if the custody request is worded in such a way on the original petition, it would give the court subject matter jurisdiction to make findings of step parent custody. In addition, the Inland Empire family law court may enter a stepparent custody order in favor of a party to a dissolution proceeding by stipulation of the parties.

Stepparent Visitation Rights

However, the Family Code expressly empowers trial courts to adjudicate stepparent visitation claims in domestic relations status actions.  In a dissolution, legal separation or nullity action, the court may grant reasonable visitation to a stepparent provided that the stepparent visitation is determined to be in the child’s best interest.  Stepparent’s visitation rights are secondary to the birth parent’s custody or visitation rights.    The Inland Empire Court will not order stepparent visitation to the extent that it would conflict with the custody or visitation of a birth parent who is not a party to the proceeding.

Call Wallin & Klarich Child Custody Attorneys in the Inland Empire

Therefore, it is important to have a knowledgeable Inland Empire family law attorney assist you in this process since it is very complex.  Wallin & Klarich has more than 30 years of experience in family law. Our attorneys know from long experience in custody cases, and are prepared to fight to get you the best possible outcome. With 16 attorneys in 33 offices throughout Southern California, we can be there when you need us — wherever you are. If you’re thinking of hiring an attorney for a custody matter, call us today at (888) 749-7428 for a consultation.

How Can I Issue an Emergency Restraining Order Against My Spouse in the Inland Empire?

There are two types of restraining orders you can obtain on an emergency basis. The first is a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, and the second is a Civil Harassment Restraining Order.

Different Types of Restraining Orders

A Domestic Violence Restraining Order is for persons who have or have had a marital or dating relationship, or are closely related t… Continue Reading.......

Men Are Often Silent Victims of Domestic Violence

It is a well known fact that domestic violence against women has become a worldwide issue. Many laws have been established to protect against domestic violence against women in California. However, it is little known that as many as 900,000 men are victims of physical violence by a domestic partner, according to a report by the Department of Justice on the Na… Continue Reading.......

Is Serving Divorce Papers to Your Spouse through Facebook Legal?

    Some people have the mistaken belief that once they file their initial divorce papers (called the “Summons” and “Petition”) with the court that this is all that needs to be done to become divorced from their spouse. Unfortunately, filing the Summons and Petition with the court is only the start of a legal process that can turn complicated very q… Continue Reading.......

Non-Custodial Parents: How to Maintain a Relationship with Your Child

  Even if you have resolved your initial California child custody dilemma, long distances separating a non-custodial parent from his or her child requires great efforts to maintain and/or develop a healthy relationship. Here are some tips to help you out: 1. Pay child support – It may seem obvious, but you would be surprised how many child support disp… Continue Reading.......

I Believe I am the Father; Can a Paternity Test Help Me Obtain Child Custody?

Many times, a father will take a paternity test to determine if he is the biological father of a minor child when there is no marriage involved. Once it is determined that he is the biological father through DNA testing, the next step would be to file a Paternity Petition and a motion to determine custody and visitation rights assuming that the parties are unabl… Continue Reading.......