Southern California Family Law Blog

divorce in Orange County

We can help you file for divorce in Orange County.

What is a Divorce in Orange County?

A “divorce,” also known as a “dissolution of marriage” in California, is the formal, legal ending of a marriage that is obtained by a judgment issued through the California court process.

Residency Requirement

The first step in filing for divorce in Orange County is to determine if you satisfy the residency requirement.  Prior to filing your divorce paperwork in Orange County, you must have lived in California for the past six months, and have lived in Orange County for the past three months.

Filling Out the Necessary Paperwork

The next step is to fill out the necessary paperwork to file for divorce with the court.  To open a new divorce case with the Orange County Superior Court, you must fill out the following forms:

  • Petition (Form FL-100)
  • Summons (Form FL-110)
  • Family Law Declaration Re: Related Cases (Form L1120)
  • Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (Form FL-105) (only if you and your spouse have a child/children from the marriage).

Filing the Documents with the Court

Afterwards, the original documents and at least two copies need to be filed with the family law clerk at the Lamoreaux Justice Center.  Along with these documents, there is also a $435 filing fee that must be paid directly to the court for filing this paperwork.

The family law clerk will keep the original forms, and will provide a filed copy of these documents, also known as a “conformed copy,” for you to keep.  One of the conformed copies should be kept for your records, while the other conformed copy will be used to serve your spouse.

Serving Your Spouse

serve divorce papers

You cannot personally serve divorce papers to your spouse.

Typically, a conformed copy of these forms must be personally delivered to your spouse, along with a blank response form (Form FL-120) by someone that is 18 years old or older.  For example, you can have a relative, friend, co-worker, etc. to personally hand a conformed copy of these documents to your spouse.

You cannot personally serve these documents to your spouse. The person that serves your spouse must keep track of the date, time, and address where he/she personally delivered these documents to your spouse, so a proper proof of service of summons (Form FL-115) can be filed with the court.

Your Spouse’s Response

Upon being served, your spouse has 30 days from the date she was served to file a response with the court.  Once the thirty days have passed, you may proceed with seeking a default judgment against your spouse.

Call an Orange County Divorce Attorney Today

Filing for a divorce without a lawyer representing you can be a major error in judgment. The laws regarding child custody and division of property can be complicated. If you are considering filing for divorce and you have children or own a home or other valuable personal property you should hire an experienced family law firm to guide you through the entire process.

If you or a loved one is going through a divorce, it is crucial that you speak to an experienced family law attorney.  At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have over 30 years of experience in handling all types of divorce cases in Orange County.  Our attorneys will fight to get you the best possible outcome in your case.

With offices in Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, Orange County, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina, and Victorville, there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich Southern California family law attorney near you no matter where you work or live.

Call us today at (888) 749-7428 for a free phone consultation.  We will get through this together.

How does a court determine the amount of child support that I must pay?

Following a 15-year marriage, you and your spouse mutually agree to obtain a divorce. Now, your ex-spouse is requesting that you pay child support to help her care for your two minor children. Is she entitled to this payment? How much will a court award her? The experienced child support attorneys at Wallin & Klarich understand how stressful this situat… Continue Reading.......

How can I get off the California Child Abuse Central Index (CACI) under Penal Code 11169 & 11170 if I was listed as a minor?

The California Child Abuse Central Index (CACI) is a database maintained by the California Department of Justice to list individuals suspected of child abuse or severe neglect. Being listed on CACI can be devastating. If your name is listed on CACI, a negative stigma will likely follow you wherever you go. It may be difficult to find and maintain employmen… Continue Reading.......

Lamar Odom, Khloe Kardashian and the California Divorce Case Backlog Problem

The unfortunate events surrounding Lamar Odom’s recent hospitalization after being found unconscious in a Nevada brothel have been well documented. While Odom was in a coma, reports stated that Khloe Kardashian was making important medical decisions regarding Odom’s treatment, such as how long he should continue to receive life support. Many were won… Continue Reading.......

How to Compromise in a California Child Custody Case

One of the most difficult issues in family law is child custody. When the court is faced with a child custody issue in a case, the main focus of the court is the well-being of the child involved. Every case is unique, as it involves different types of parents and children, and the dynamics on how everyone interacts with each other differs with each case. The court… Continue Reading.......

Does California Need to Speed Up Divorce Proceedings?

Many clients ask us how long it takes to complete a divorce. The answer is not that simple. Every case is unique, and how long your case will take depends on many factors. There are two factors, above all others, that determine how long a case will last: you and your spouse. Are you and your spouse going to fight about many divorce “issues” or resolve them amicably… Continue Reading.......

5 Ways Your Attorney Can Discover Hidden Assets During Divorce

During a divorce, one of the main goals is to properly divide property, assets, and debts between the parties. This requires that both sides are fully aware of everything that needs to be divided. Unfortunately, this simple goal can be extremely difficult if you have an uncooperative spouse. One of the scenarios that we have dealt with many times in divorce c… Continue Reading.......

Problems with Community Property After Divorce

It goes without saying that going through a divorce can be very challenging and stressful. But, once the case is finalized and the court issues a judgment, there should not be any problems after that, right? Unfortunately, this is not true with many cases in San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Sometimes, one or both of the parties in the divorce fail to fol… Continue Reading.......