Southern California Family Law Blog

Oftentimes, divorced parents are still on amicable or semi-amicable terms such that they can discuss child custody, child visitation, and child support in a civil way. In fact, they are often able to come to agreements on their own, without having to go to court. When this happens, the question is then whether or not they should make their agreement a court order.

The answer will depend on whether or not you want the agreement to be enforceable. If your ex-spouse used to pay you $500 in child support every month, and now you and he agreed to $600 every month, you may want to make that a court order. Without a court order, you will have a difficult time enforcing the agreement that you made.

Also, let’s say you are a father that enjoys every other weekend with your children as part of the latest child visitation order. If you and your children’s mother are now agreeing that you can have the children for 4 more days every month, then you may want to let the court know and make the new change a stipulated order of the court. Not only would it help you enforce your new visitation schedule, but it will also be a basis for a new child support order, which could mean that you would be paying less in child support each month.

On the other hand, if you do not want the new agreement to be enforceable by the court or by the other parent, then it might be better for you to leave the agreement “off the books,” so to speak.

If you have any other questions about child custody, child visitation or child support, call us today. We are here to answer your questions.

If you or a loved one wants to change a court order, the family law attorneys at Wallin & Klarich can help you through the process. Our experienced family law attorneys can provide you with legal advice and will be your advocate in a family law court. If you’re thinking of hiring an attorney for a family law matter, call us today at 1-888-749-7428 for a consultation, or fill out the online case evaluation form to the right.

Can I Still Get a Divorce If My Spouse Does Not Want To?

Sometimes one spouse will want a divorce but the other spouse does not. Or sometimes the other spouse is okay with the divorce, but does not want to be involved in the divorce proceedings and does not want to hire a lawyer or go to court. What can you do then? You can still file for divorce. When you file, you will need to serve your spouse with all your paperwork. If y… Continue Reading.......

Does My Child Have a Say in the Child Custody or Visitation Order

Many parents ask us whether their child has a say in what the child custody and visitation arrangement is. People want to know if the judge will listen to the child’s input when making a child custody/visitation order. Some parents ask whether the child gets to choose with whom he or she wants to live. The answer will depend on the age of the child and also on the ju… Continue Reading.......

Obtain a Child Support Order against the Absent Parent Expediently and Efficiently

If a party opens a Department of Child support case in San Bernardino, jurisdiction over the issue of child support then becomes the controlling jurisdiction of the Department of Child Support Services Court which is separately located from the central courthouse in downtown San Bernardino. The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) handles the en… Continue Reading.......

What Social Services Must Prove When They Take Your Child from You in a Dependency Action: Welfare & Institutions Code 300s

If a social worker decides to remove a child from a home, they must show the court that the child falls within the court’s jurisdiction to make orders on behalf of the child’s release or detention. The social worker must also show the following pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code Section 319 and California Rules of Court 5.676, 5.678:
  1. Cont
Continue Reading.......

Child Custody Disputes in Family Law Matters and the Relevance of an Expert Evaluator: Evidence Code Section 730

Evidence Code Section 730 states: “When it appears to the court, at any time before or during the trial of an action, that expert evidence is or may be required by the court or by any party to the action, the court on its own motion or on motion of any party may appoint one or more experts to investigate, to render a report as may be ordered by the court, and to teContinue Reading.......